Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Heeeeere's Mommy!

Good morning everyone. It's quite unlike me to refrain from putting in a good word but I'm not as computer-savvy as my worthy spouse, so this is my first blog posting ever. Shehechiyanu...

Can't decide what's more chaotic: the rushing-around prior to departure or the rushing-around we've been doing for more than two years to make this dream come true. I've threatened to re-name our daughter "Jumbo" because she's taken almost as long as an elephant to get here. Actually, her suitcase isn't quite fully packed. It's full of lovely warm clothes from her grandma in Seattle, but we realized within the past week that she'll need summery things too, for our time in Hainan. Believe it or not, I managed to find her a couple of bathing suits in the store yesterday, along with a cute little cover-up.

People are always saying that we're doing a really good thing, but I'm rather uncomfortable with that assessment. We're just trying to become parents for the second time, and this is the path to parenthood for us. Personally, I've always felt that parenthood is a potentially selfish road to travel; after all, kids don't ask to be born. They don't ask to become your child. Harry was just four and a half months old when he came to us so he could acclimate quickly. Xiao-Ling has been alive for nearly half a decade and is accustomed to the people, places and things she knows. And so the thing I'm most nervous about is this: I hope she likes us. I hope we don't scare her just by the fact of our existence. I hope, I hope, I hope...

4 comments:

RamblingMother said...

When I get thanked for adopting my daughter or told I did a good and noble thing, I just tell them that I was selfish and wanted a child without all the marriage and childbirth stuff. That usually shuts them up.

Safe travels to your beautiful child.

Beverly

Unknown said...

So glad to hear from you, Beverly! You are our first comment! Thank you for your good wishes.
Jacquie

Anonymous said...

All we Hyman's offer up is our love and our support for your whole family. You are all amazing, and it has been nothing but joy watching Harry develop into a fine young man through your guidance. I am very confident that Xiao-Ling will find nothing less than the best mommy, daddy, brother team in the business! Safe travel, safe return and nothing but health!

Love you all!
Brad, Ilana, Liora and Hannah

Unknown said...

Thanks, Hyman's! We take your love with us as we go.
Love to you too,
The S-Ms